The legal saga between Blake Lively and Justin Baldoni has spawned yet another courtroom battle, this time involving a journalist who says he was caught in the crossfire. James Vituscka, a former senior US entertainment reporter for the Daily Mail, has filed a lawsuit against his ex-employer, claiming he was wrongfully terminated after his texts were swept into the Lively-Baldoni litigation.
Vituscka's lawsuit, filed Monday in Manhattan Supreme Court, accuses the Daily Mail of whistleblower retaliation, sex and disability discrimination, sexual harassment, interference with protected rights, and wrongful termination. He is seeking damages that include lost wages, emotional-distress damages, and punitive damages. The complaint had not yet been reviewed by the county clerk at publication time, but the allegations paint a picture of a newsroom that allegedly tried to control a reporter's response to a legal storm.
A Reporter's Unwanted Role in a High-Profile Fight
Vituscka's entanglement with the Lively-Baldoni dispute began in August 2024, when he was covering the fallout from the set of It Ends With Us, the film adaptation of Colleen Hoover's best-selling novel. According to the lawsuit, Lively's longtime publicist, Leslie Sloane, told Vituscka that Baldoni was the source of tension on the set. However, the reporter says Sloane never told him that Baldoni had sexually harassed or assaulted Lively.
That apparent discrepancy became the center of Vituscka's involvement. When Lively filed a sexual-harassment complaint against Baldoni in December 2024, the reporter texted Baldoni's PR crisis manager, Melissa Nathan, to ask about the inconsistency between what he had heard from Sloane and what was now being alleged. In that exchange, Vituscka accidentally used the phrase "sexually assaulted" instead of "sexually harassed." He says he immediately clarified that Sloane had never told him anything about sexual harassment at all.
Those texts later became part of Baldoni's legal filings, thrusting Vituscka into the middle of an increasingly bitter legal war. The reporter claims his words were selectively quoted and stripped of context, and he was subsequently subpoenaed to provide documents and testimony. That subpoena triggered a dispute with the Daily Mail over how he should respond.
Alleged Pressure and Retaliation
According to the lawsuit, Vituscka wanted to hire his own legal representation to defend himself after his texts were used in court papers. He alleges that the Daily Mail discouraged him from doing so. Instead, the outlet allegedly pressured him to sign a declaration containing language he was uncomfortable with, such as stating he "regretted" the actions that led to his involvement.
The Daily Mail has categorically denied those allegations. In a statement, the outlet called the lawsuit "an inaccurate account of the circumstances surrounding the declaration he signed in connection with the Lively-Baldoni litigation." The news organization went further, asserting that "at no point did Daily Mail pressure James to sign a declaration he believed to be untrue."
The statement added that the declaration Vituscka signed was consistent with what he had already told senior management after the Baldoni complaint first came to their attention. "As a trusted news organization, we expect our journalists to act with honesty and integrity, and we rely upon that important expectation," the outlet said. The Daily Mail concluded by alleging that Vituscka's claims of being a whistleblower who suffered retaliation, harassment, discrimination, or other unlawful treatment are "entirely meritless and unsupported by the facts," and expressed confidence that the lawsuit will be dismissed.
A Career Built on Integrity
Vituscka, who has spent two decades in journalism, maintains that his refusal to compromise his principles cost him his job. In a statement, he said, "I became a journalist to find the truth and have the courage to tell it. I spent two decades building my career and reputation through ethical reporting, integrity, and hard work, and I never imagined that refusing to compromise those principles could cost me everything I had built." He continued, "This lawsuit is about accountability and standing up for the basic principle that journalists should never be punished for protecting their integrity."
His lawyer also weighed in, saying, "We intend to hold the Daily Mail accountable for the way our client was treated."
The Broader Lively-Baldoni Battle
To understand the significance of Vituscka's lawsuit, it helps to recall the full scope of the Lively-Baldoni legal confrontation. Lively, known for her roles in Gossip Girl and films like A Simple Favor, and Baldoni, the actor-director who became famous for Jane the Virgin and the man behind the camera for It Ends With Us, were on opposite sides of a bitter dispute that played out in courtrooms and in the media.
The conflict erupted when Lively filed a complaint with the California Civil Rights Department in December 2024, alleging sexual harassment and a hostile work environment during the production of It Ends With Us. She also accused Baldoni of a coordinated smear campaign designed to damage her reputation. Baldoni denied the allegations and then struck back with his own lawsuit against Lively and her husband, Ryan Reynolds, alleging defamation and extortion. He later filed a separate $400 million lawsuit against the New York Times over its coverage of Lively's complaint.
The legal war saw multiple filings, dueling statements, and a constant churn of leaked messages and court documents. Both sides accused each other of manipulating public opinion. The case drew intense media scrutiny, with commentators and fans choosing sides. Amid this frenzy, reporters covering the story often found themselves in difficult positions, having to navigate sensitive allegations and conflicting narratives.
The Subpoena and the Fallout
Vituscka's role in this drama was not as a party to the dispute but as a journalist who had communicated with key figures. His texts with Melissa Nathan became evidence in Baldoni's filings, which is how he became a target for subpoenas. The lawsuit alleges that the Daily Mail changed the way his work was supervised after the subpoena dispute, and that he was ultimately fired in June 2025.
According to the court documents, Vituscka claims that the outlet's response to his predicament was a form of retaliation. He says he was punished for refusing to sign a declaration that he believed did not reflect the truth. His lawsuit also includes allegations of sex and disability discrimination and sexual harassment, though the specific details of those claims have not been fully spelled out in the initial complaint. The combination of these allegations suggests a work environment that was allegedly hostile in multiple ways.
The Daily Mail's response has been firm. The outlet maintains that it expected its journalists to act with honesty and integrity, implying that Vituscka's actions fell short of that standard. The company's statement indicates that the declaration he signed was in line with what he had already told senior management, undercutting his claim that he was pressured into signing something false.
Whistleblower Claims and Legal Precedent
The case raises important questions about the rights of journalists when they become part of a story they are covering. Whistleblower laws typically protect employees who report illegal conduct, but Vituscka's claim is unusual because he was not reporting misconduct by his employer. Instead, he argues that he was retaliated against for refusing to compromise his journalistic integrity in the face of legal pressure.
Employment lawyers note that such cases can be difficult to prove, particularly when the employer can show that the termination was based on performance or conduct that violated company policy. The Daily Mail has argued that Vituscka's claims are meritless, but the lawsuit is likely to continue with discovery and potentially a trial if the parties do not reach a settlement.
For media organizations, the case serves as a reminder of the risks their reporters face when they become involved in high-profile litigation. Journalists are often called to testify or produce documents in lawsuits they are covering, and the line between impartial observer and participant can become blurred. The outcome of Vituscka's lawsuit could have implications for how newsrooms support their staff in similar situations.
Neither Leslie Sloane nor Melissa Nathan has commented publicly on the new lawsuit at this time. The Lively-Baldoni case itself was resolved in May 2026, when both sides announced a settlement and agreed to drop their respective claims, avoiding a trial that had been widely anticipated. That settlement did not include any admission of wrongdoing, but it brought an end to a legal battle that had dominated entertainment headlines for over a year.
Vituscka's fight is far from over, though. His lawsuit now moves forward, and the coming months will likely see both sides trading legal motions and statements. For now, the former reporter is standing by his claim that he was unfairly treated, while the Daily Mail remains steadfast in its defense.
In the court of public opinion, the case is another twist in a story that never seems to end. What began as a dispute between two actors over the making of a movie has expanded into a legal labyrinth that has ensnared publicists, media outlets, and now a journalist fighting for his career. As Vituscka put it, the lawsuit is about accountability. Whether that accountability will be found in a courtroom remains to be seen.
Source: MSN News